Putting everything In Focus
Monday, 30 November -0001
Posted On 2016-07-05 10:55:15 |  Last Update 2016-07-05 11:00:37 |  Read 2798 times | 0 Comments

As a reasonably well-travelled twenty-something, I assumed my general knowledge was pretty good – or at least passable for the odd pub quiz! But when I was tasked with briefing and writing a non-fiction title for our new imprint, 360 degrees, I soon realised how little I knew about the amazing world around me…

In Focus puts ten subjects under the microscope, using giant flaps to explore the internal and external details of a variety of items. Using cross-sections and cutaways, the reader is treated to all sorts of historical, anatomical and cultural facts about a variety of things – from vehicles to fruit and vegetables and from everyday objects to the world’s most recognisable landmarks.

Not only does each spread investigate a different topic, they all have a very distinctive look and style. This is because we chose, quite early on, to work with ten different illustrators – assigning a different topic to each artist. It was a bit of a juggling act to keep each illustrator working towards the same deadline (!!) but in the end we got there and the result, I hope, is a really unique and diverse book.

I really hope that children get as much out of reading In Focus as I did when I was writing it because it was such a fun book to write and research. I would never have guessed that an octopus has three hearts or that the first flushing toilet was called Ajax or that there’s a festival in Mexico dedicated to celebrating the humble radish. I think the most astonishing fact I found was that only 4% of the universe is visible, with the other 96% being made up of dark matter and dark energy – mind-blowing!

In Focus celebrates the detail; cracking open the everyday to reveal the magic inside the mundane.

What will you discover?

- Libby Walden
Related Books


Write A Comment

Your Name

Your Email Address

Your Comment Note: HTML is not translated!

Enter the code in the box below:

Search News
Search  for: